Monday 14 May 2007

Mulberry Splats


"Splatt" - Mulberry splat painting, LC 1994

When I was living in Spring Hill in Brisbane (Australia), I had my 2 door 1966 XP white Falcon HardTop parked at the side of the house underneath a large Mulberry Tree. During the Mulberry season I discovered why it wasn't such a good idea to park my pure-white 2 Door XP Falcon underneath a Mulberry Tree. One morning I walked outside, took a look at my car and stopped in my tracks. Many mulberries had fallen from the tree and left indelible purple mulberry-splat stains all over my white-of-white pride and joy.

My first thought upon seeing the purple disaster was, "ARRRRGGHHHHH!!!!".
My second thought was, "NOOOOOOO!!!".
My third thought was, "Hang on... actually, hang on a second..."
And my fourth thought was, "...those mulberry splats look pretty good!"

I collected a couple of buckets of mulberries, stuck up some blank white art paper on the wall, invited a friend over, and we had a 'chuck mulberries at the pure white paper' party. Later on, after the splats had become permanent marks, I drew other stuff into them.

Getting the splats off the car is another story.

No comments: