Thursday 17 May 2007

Birds in a Tree


"Bird Tree" - Parrots in my Chestnut Tree, Winter, Lindsay Colborne

There was only enough room on the feed tray for two or three at a time and so the birds would wait their turn sitting in the branches of the Chestnut Tree.

When I was living in Olinda in the Dandenong Ranges just east of Melbourne, Australia, there was a Chestnut tree right outside my window. I placed a small tray of parrot seed on the window ledge in the hope that I may attract the Parrots and Sulphur Crested Cockatoos to my window, with the idea of taking close-up photos of them by setting-up my camera just inches away on the other side of the window glass. It took a few months to attract any birds at all. But slowly they came to the tree, and cautiously from the tree to the feed bowl. At first, the slightest movement I made on my side of the glass scared them away. They did not understand my strange and complicated ways any better than I did. But over time as they saw that my movements, though odd, were predictable and harmless, they stayed longer. After 12 months I had regular visitors to my window. They each had different personalities. This one shy, that one forthright. This one fearful, that one bold. I came to know and love them all, but always, i remained on the other side of the glass.

I've lately been thinking a lot about the trees and the birds and the beautiful people in the hills, feeding the kookies by hand and looking out through the trees to the lights of the city. Now is the winter of my discontent, and it's only autumn.

No comments: