Friday 22 June 2007

"The Floor"


"The Floor" - Floor covered with photographic imagery, Lindsay Colborne

The art gallery used to be an RSL Hall, so it had a lot of floor space. I was asked to be part of a group exhibition and when I walked in and saw the size of the floor, without thinking I asked the gallery owner, "Can I exhibit my work on the floor?" She said, "Sure."

At that stage I had no idea what I was going to do, except that I was going to cover the floor somehow. I had limited time to get the floor down, which left no time to develop my concepts concerning the nature of change, which will have to be the subject of a future floor
, so this time I simply floated many of my existing photos of people in a sea of white. I tiled the images out on an A3 laser writer and glued them all together piece by piece, there were hundreds of them, maybe thousands. Each people-photo is life size and made up of about 50 A3 pieces. It took me two solid weeks of printing and gluing and positioning to completely cover the RSL Hall-sized floor.

No comments: